Springtime salad delights
Strawberry Spinach Salad2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon minced onion
10 ounces fresh spinach: rinsed, dried and torn into bite-size pieces
1 quart strawberries: cleaned, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover and chill for one hour.
2. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Recipe adapted from original submitted by username “TOZENUF,” courtesy of Allrecipes.com
Spring Salad12 slices bacon
2 heads fresh broccoli, florets only
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 cup seedless green grapes
1 cup seedless red grapes
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/4 cup white sugar
1. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
2. In a large salad bowl, toss together the bacon, broccoli, celery, green onions, green grapes, red grapes, raisins and almonds.
3. Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Makes approximately 8 servings
Recipe adapted from original submitted by username “BROWNDOG,” courtesy of Allrecipes.com