New Silt-Fence Installer Attachment Provides Faster, More Secure Installation MethodWEST FARGO, N.D. — April 2007
Contractors who need to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements to control storm water runoff can do so more efficiently — all while minimizing manual labor — with the new silt-fence installer attachment from Bobcat Company, a business of Ingersoll Rand, a diversified industrial firm.
This new attachment is especially beneficial to those in the construction, landscaping and rental markets. The EPA mandates that contractors control storm water runoff and discharge of pollutants if one acre or more of land is disturbed. In addition to these federal requirements, some states and municipalities have even stricter erosion control guidelines.
The Bobcat® silt-fence installer attachment provides a faster and more secure method of installing silt fence than the old methods of trenching or digging by hand. The attachment is approved for use on Bobcat skid-steer loaders (models S220 through S330), compact track loaders (models T180 through T300), the A300 all-wheel steer loader, as well as compact tractors with up to 100 hp and a Class I or Class II three-point hitch.
With the Bobcat silt-fence installer, silt-fence material is quickly threaded under a rod and through the chute on the blade. The attachment is then lowered into the ground to a maximum depth of 20 inches, and the silt fence unrolls automatically as the machine is driven backward. The quick-change cap that mounts on the end of the silt-fence holder includes a spring-loaded plate that ensures proper tension so the roll won’t unwind unintentionally.
Several features of the new silt-fence installer attachment help make it efficient and secure. For example, operators can quickly thread the silt-fence fabric by making only one 45-degree fold, without needing to open an attachment panel. With minor changes to the roll holder, the attachment quickly adapts to fit wider silt-fence material measuring 36, 42 and 48 inches. When beginning installation, centering springs help keep the blade straight, while a coulter wheel slices turf, roots and other ground obstructions to assist blade penetration. The attachment also features a replaceable tooth that cuts into the ground and helps pull the blade through.
There are also four mounting options to fit customers’ needs, including loader center mounted, three-point hitch center mounted, three-point hitch 72-inch side-shift frame, and three-point hitch 84-inch side-shift frame. Side-shift mounting frames enable operators to install silt fence in the optimal position. Operators can slightly offset the attachment to gain better visibility to the blade, or they can offset the attachment completely to get close to obstacles.
Because many construction sites utilize compact tractors and loaders, Bobcat offers mounting frames that will easily accommodate both machines with an adapter frame that can be installed or removed in seconds. For easy mounting to compact tractors with three-point hitches, the attachment features prop stands that can be stowed away when not in use. Bobcat also offers a hydraulic top-link kit, which is recommended for compact tractors because it elevates the silt-fence installer blade higher off the ground.
QuickLook: Silt-Fence Installer Attachment
- Provides faster, more secure method for installing silt fence — all while eliminating manual labor
- Helps contractors meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements
- Approved for use on Bobcat skid-steer loaders (models S220 through S330), compact track loaders (models T180 through T300), the A300 all-wheel steer loader, as well as compact tractors with up to 100 hp and a Class I or Class II three-point hitch
- Installs silt fence to a maximum depth of 20 inches
- Accommodates silt-fence material in widths of 36, 42 and 48 inches
- Centering springs help keep the attachment blade straight
- Coulter wheel slices turf, roots and other ground obstructions to assist blade penetration
- Replaceable tooth cuts into ground and helps pull blade through
- Prop stands for easy mounting to compact tractors with three-point hitches
- Available hydraulic top-link kit for compact tractors elevates silt-fence installer blade higher off the ground